Thursday, March 29, 2012

Chicken Stock

The flu has come to rest at our home so "Killer Chicken Soup" is in order.  It all starts with a basic chicken stock.  Now, I asked my mother what makes her stock so wonderful and she gave me her recipe.  

 
She said it was exactly how she makes it . . . She lied.
 

I followed her instructions many times and yet my stock just didn't taste right.  So, one day I tossed in a couple extra things and what do you know, it tastes great.  When I told her what I had added, she feigned innocence to her omissions.  I am now highly suspect to the other 'complete' recipes she has given me.  But do not be suspicious of my recipe, for I will always tell you exactly what I put in (bwahahaha).

What you need
1 whole chicken, either cut up or whole (take the icky parts out)
The tops of one bunch of celery, including leaves
A couple carrots, washed but not peeled
1 whole onion, quartered, leave the peel on
1 whole head of garlic, cut in half
1 tablespoon each, kosher salt & dried parsley
2 teaspoons each, white & black peppercorns, dried rosemary & thyme
2 bay leaves
6-8 cups cool, filtered water

Add the ingredients, in order to a large stock pot.  Cover and heat on low to an easy simmer and simmer for about 2 hours. Remove chicken and set aside to cool before shredding.  Remove the other veggies and toss out.  Strain the stock through a colander that is lined with either cheese cloth or (my favorite) plain white paper towels.  The stock is now ready to be used or chilled and stored in your freezer for up to 3 months. And you have shredded chicken!

Enjoy!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment